Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
Finally got a White Christmas! First time in 29 years and well worth it - it was just like the movies.
Craig and I flew up to
We had been worried about Craig's Dad who was travelling from

The hotel, the Hotel Chateau Bellevue had been recommended to me by a colleague. It turned out that it a small boutique hotel right on the

We found the one and only place that was open for dinner on Christmas Eve (as being close to the Europeans the Quebecans celebrate Christmas at midnight and have the dinner on the 24th). We were delighted to discover the

After the boys retired to bed, I decided to go to Midnight Mass at the local Cathedral - The Basilique Notre-Dame. It was more for me to look at the architecture and the artwork, but I had also promised Mum. I thought I did pretty well following along the Mass in French but was disappointed that the Hail Mary was not said. This is in fact the only thing I remember from 3rd form French as we had to say it everyday. It would have been my only opportunity to show off my knowledge.
The next morning - Christmas Day, turned out to be a beautiful one. There was snow on the ground and it was brilliantly sunny. Because it was so cold there were ice crystals hovering in the air. So we wandered around the city (cautiously as the freezing rain on the 23rd had left an inch thick layer of ice everywhere ). We discovered that the

We walked up around the Citadel along the river and to the
Because
This is made by putting treacle on snow packed in troughs, let to freeze, and then you roll up the frozen stuff on an ice-block stick to eat. Just like frozen golden syrup.
Christmas dinner was at the Aux Anciens Canadiens - a building that had been there since 1675. We had another Gastronmique meal of traditional Qubecoise fare for a change from the usual

Boxing Day was also special. In the afternoon we had decided to go for a dog sledding expedition. We didn't know what to expect but we were bundled up in uber warm clothing (our

I had decided to go skiing at the local Mt St Anne the next day (first time since I had first stuffed up my leg) and so Craig decided to also join me. The skiing was fabulous - big long runs and soft snow. However, it was cold - I thought my nose was going to drop off. Craig also had difficulties since this was only his second time snowboarding , so after many falls he called it a day (but not too bad at 2.00pm). Fortunately my leg was pretty much up to the task - it even finally fitted into the boots - just! We were planning on going night skiing, but could not find a cheapish way back into town. I am kind of glad we didn't because I think we would have frozen.
The next morning, Ray left


New Years was also nice and quietish. We found that just the (very few) liquor stores were crowded but I don't think people tend to do too much for it. I guess it is the weather that makes people a little more subdued. Craig and I and our Ozzie Friends just decided to go to the local pub (before the cover charge came in effect), had a few beers and watched the band. It was all very enjoyable and we came home safely (well 3/4 of us).
So now it is 2005! Who would have believed that we came through the other side of all the things we went through in 2004! It has been a rather humbling yet rewarding experience - but not too sure if we want to try the same thing again (although we think that this is inevitable). Catch you next time

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home